Sunday, November 27, 2011

Carrot Souffle


  • This tasty recipe comes from The Food Lovers' Primal Palate.
  • I am NOT a fan of carrots, but I stumbled upon this recipe and thought I'd give it a shot.  Guess what?  Score!
  • 2 lbs baby carrots (organic), 1 quart chicken broth (I made the broth with organic Better Than Bouillon chicken base), 3 eggs, 2 tbsp minced onions, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1 tbsp coconut flour, 2 tsp lemon juice (I squeezed 1/2 an organic lemon), 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (I used grade B 100% pure maple syrup)
  • Cook/boil the carrots on the stove in the broth until the carrots are soft.
  • Strain the carrots to get rid of all the broth then puree.  I NINJA'd them.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well.
  • The Food Lover's Primal Palate says to cook in a 2 quart souffle dish.  I used 8 6oz souffle/ramekin dishes.  Lightly grease your cookware of choice.  I didn't grease mine b/c I forgot and they turned out just fine.
  • Bake uncovered for 45-60 minutes on 350 until center is firm to the touch.  I think I cooked mine almost an hour.
**UPDATED RECIPE 26 Feb 12**
  • Use 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter (grass fed if possible) instead of 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • Use 2 tbsp lemon juice instead of only 2 tsp lemon juice
  • Omit the 1/4 cup maple syrup
This no sweetener added update, in my opinion, made it taste even better!!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome :) Wish I was there to try it. I'm glad you tried it despite the carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smarty Pants aka The Hillside CircusDecember 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM

    I hope the link works...it's a recipe I think might work with your new lifestyle. Minus the buns.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6s3rKTvV5c

    ReplyDelete